BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Introducing..my new pet (not for the faint-hearted)

Went to the pet show @ Qlap Mall and something caught my eye. It was something I've wished for since I was little. Tarantulas !


There were three species on sale, Mexican Red Knee($30), Rose Hair($30) and the Salmon Pink($15). I eventually settled for the Rose Hair because it was, according to the posters I've read, easiest to maintain. Great for lazy owners, like me!

It wasn't an easy decision for me though. It was certainly overpriced for a spiderling(aka baby spiders :p) In the west, a spiderling would cost around US$6 and an adult Tarantula are around US$40 depending on the species.

But since this is the only time and place where I can buy my dream pet(yeazza) , I decided to go for it. The price would account for the rarity of exotic pets in Brunei and the cost to bring such animals here (just utk menyamankan hati, wawa) .

They were put in very small containers filled with soil. The seller gave one free mealworm for my baby Tarantula upon buying it.


You can see how small the 'cage' is by comparing them with different kinds of coins.



Juan, Rafi and Anam came to my house at 8pm. They kept singing the One Banana song from Sesame Street. It was then I decided to call my little spidey Elmo.

Alas, from now on, you are Elmo! It's cute,little, hairy and Red just like Elmo(subjective opinion).

Elmo didn't do anything interesting until nighttime. Well, Tarantulas are nocturnal anyways, so it is expected(kind of). He/She started to lift the dead mealworms one by one using his/her little claws and started devouring them slowly. Cute ! :p

He/She likes to climb around the edges of the 'cage' a lot and sometimes stop by for a quick snack of mealworms.

It's quite fascinating to see such a little thing has so many life in it. Can't wait for him/her to be a bit bigger!


This is Elmo, years later(hopefully)

0 comments: